OSLO, Norway — Olso police questioned the man
suspected in last week’s twin terrorist attacks in Norway on Friday but
published no details. They revised the death toll in the two attacks up
by one to 77.
Anders Behring Breivik was brought to police
headquarters to review the transcript from his first interview, which
ran to about 50 pages, prosecutor Pal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby said earlier.
Kraby said that “for security reasons” police would not offer details of when future interviews with Breivik would be held.
Breivik was remanded in custody Monday, charged with
the July 22 bombing in the capital Oslo that killed eight people, and
the subsequent shooting spree on nearby Utoya island that killed 69.
The Norwegian security service PST late Friday issued
a statement on the attacks stating they “did not constitute a
heightened threat from known right-wing or left-extremist groups in
But copy-cat crimes were a potential risk, it said.
The PST said “the perpetrator most likely planned and carried out his
The list of names of victims published by the Oslo
police raised the death toll in the shooting at Utoya by one to 69.
Earlier Friday, police said there were no more unaccounted for in the
Most of those shot were young people at a holiday
camp organized by the youth wing of the ruling Labour Party, and on
Friday the first funerals were held for victims of the rampage.
The 32-year-old Breivik was also to undergo a psychiatric evaluation. The report was due Nov. 1, Kraby said.
But Brevik has said he would “not cooperate” with the Norwegian forensic psychiatrists, the prosecutor said.
Earlier this week, Breivik’s attorney, Geir
Lippestad, told reporters his client was likely insane. “The whole case
indicates that he is insane,” the attorney said.
Kraby said Breivik appeared calm during Friday’s
interview, just as he had during the interview conducted after last
week’s attacks. Kraby said police were looking into reports that Breivik
had undergone paramilitary training in Belarus.
Oslo police chief of staff Johan Fredriksen said
Utoya island was still cordoned off as the investigation continued.
Police also asked the public to send in video footage from last week’s
attacks as it could offer insights into Breivik’s movements.
A task force was also studying his activity on the
Internet, including his postings on right-wing sites. Compiling the case
against Breivik was expected to take months.
Tor-Aksel Busch, head of the Norwegian Prosecuting
Authority, has said that “out of respect for the dead and next-of-kin
the perpetrator must be tried for each killing,” and this would require
The acts constituted terrorism since they were aimed
at instilling fear in the public at large and could be punished with a
21-year prison term, the prosecution has said.
However, authorities were considering whether Breivik
could be charged with crimes against humanity. The maximum sentence for
such crimes is a 30-year prison term.
Chief of police Oystein Maeland said an evaluation of
the police and emergency response to the attacks was to be conducted.
At a news conference Friday Maeland said the “attacks were unique, in a
national and international perspective.”
(c) 2011, Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH (Hamburg, Germany).
Visit dpa on the Internet at http://www.dpa.de/English.82.0.html
Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.